I like music quite a bit. I'm actually jealous of people who can sing, and in all honesty I am too shy to attempt karaoke performances anywhere here in town. Maybe if I went out of town like Austin or Houston, I'd give it a shot. Someplace where I'm a total unknown.
Of course, if I blow it and make a hilarious spectacle of myself then people could film it, post it to Youtube and I'll be, as the kids say, an "Epic Fail!" My sister & brother were in choir, band and are musically inclined. That they get from my mother. My dad is the silent one and usually makes an effort to assist or connect wiring, anything where a voice isn't as important except in giving orders.
I think that's a reason I like musicals. "Phantom of the Opera" and "Jesus Christ, Superstar" have a lot in common with speaking as well as expressive singing. I can sing, I can carry the rhyme scheme & rhythm of a poem, and public speaking is a simple item. Usually I can speak on any subject or with any person.
Connecting to them, that's another story. Grabbing, electrifying them for a few minutes, for a class or to teach them a skill is one thing; keeping them coming back for more is something entirely different. Music, like art, is a thunderbolt to the heart. And as you can see/hear/read in my many blog entries I love music and how the music makes me feel, what it expresses, how it touches my soul. I wish I could express that too.
A few years ago I had a small dog that died under unfortunate circumstances, but when he came to me, and would snuggle up next to me, I'd softly sing to him. No one knew, nor heard, but that tiny little dog. Now I sing this to my other dogs when it's quiet. This I would sing very softly:
Lyrics found here
Try not to get worried, try not to turn on to
Problems that upset you, oh.
Don't you know
Everything's alright, yes, everything's fine.
And we want you to sleep well tonight.
Let the world turn without you tonight.
If we try, we'll get by, so forget all about us tonight
Everything's alright, yes, everything's alright, yes.
Sleep and I shall soothe you, calm you, and anoint you.
Myrrh for your hot forehead, oh.
Then you'll feel
Everything's alright, yes, everything's fine.
And it's cool, and the ointment's sweet
For the fire in your head and feet.
Close your eyes, close your eyes
And relax, think of nothing tonight.
After that I admit that I would Rick-Roll the world being an apostle of the infamous Rick Astley. I enjoyed his voice in the 80's and continually admit to still liking his amazing music and voice. When he appeared in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in 2008 I was ecstatic!!
And yes, that deserves 2 (two) exclamation points.
When I had a different life, I received a message, and I can still hear it. It was an acapella voice singing softly from across the miles, and even now across the years, I can still hear it in the back of my mind. I didn't have the technology to save it, nor the time as I my messages would only last a few weeks, but I played that song over & over, and it became mine. Utterly, completely ... and I still smile.
Music can bring a man to his knees, a tear to your eye and repair a wound in your heart.
Here's what I heard, that one song. I probably bore people telling them about the past, but sometimes until there's something new, you need the memories. One day there will be new memories but at least these ones still make me smile.
Sing. When I was in elementary school my old music teacher, Mrs. Reynold's would play piano, and hand out textbooks with songs by the Beatles and mimeographed sheets of purple and white paper with song lyrics on them. This is one of those songs that I remember to this day. Though she must have been close to 65 years old she played the piano with the gusto of a jazz musician and sang as if her heart were on fire.
The Carpenters - Sing (lyrics)
Sing, sing a song
Sing out loud
Sing out strong
Sing of good things not bad
Sing of happy not sad
(*) sing, sing a song
Make it simple to last
Your whole life long
Don’t worry that it’s not
Good enough for anyone
Else to hear
Just sing, sing a song
La la la la la
La la la la la la...
Sing, sing a song
Let the world sing along
Sing of love there could be
Sing for you and for me
Repeat (*)
Gonna keep singing.
Take care gang & have an amazing weekend.
Adios.
No comments:
Post a Comment