Wednesday, September 29, 2010

$ 3.00

Today one of my tires was running low on air, and I had to get from my rural school back into San Antonio, which was a dicey 14 mile run on fumes with the "low fuel" light bright on the control dials.  As I raced to the closest Valero, I was mentally counting the pennies in my checking account in anticipation of my paycheck Friday, wondering if I could bounce a check and survive the fees.



As I entered the city limits, I found a man with a ratty cardboard sign, and written in marker, the words "Please help God Bless". 


Sadly, at that moment, I had nothing in my pockets.  No, I take that back: I had exactly 50 cents, 2 quarters in my pocket.  Nothing else.  Fumes on the tank and 50 cents.

So I gambled.  I tossed my card into the credit machine, got gas and the biggest soda I could buy, just in case that was my lunch for today.  I got gas, but still needed cash and air in my tire.  The girl at the gas station told me the machines were being changed and theirs' was under repair until next week.

Down the street there was a branch with an ATM drive-through on the outside so I ran up there & checked the account.  Luckily, there was some money left, so I grabbed a couple of twenties, and ran, wanting a bite along the way.  But the tire still needed air, so I found another Valero and the machine was working.  I ran inside, and I said, "Excuse me but could I get some air please?"

(Note: previously, Valero was one of the few/only places where you could get air & water for your car as a courtesy.  Now you're paying but the money is being given to charity.)


The girl said, "Sorry, but you need change."

"Then can you break a twenty?"  I felt rushed as I still needed to drive 14+ miles back to school & grab something to eat.  The girl said, "Get in that line."

I complied, and waited as some nitwit stacked paper after paper on the counter, trying to hedge his bets in the upcoming Lottery.  The girl sending me off was making assorted money order for a customer, a woman with what seemed to be an envelope of money.  I waited, fumed, and then saw a dollar bill held out to me.  It took me aback, and the envelope lady said, "For the quarters; so you don't have to break a twenty."

I smiled, said, 'Thank you', and accepted the crisp dollar bill.  Change in hand I rushed out to my car, and waited to inflate a tire.  A young man was inflating one tire on his car, and passed me the hose; maybe he noticed I was anxious or only needed one tire to do but he allowed me to fill the tire.   I smiled, said 'Thank you', and sped down the street, picking Church's chicken as a quickie-lunch to-go back to my school before my last class of the day.


I was counting the places I was, trying to figure out if I could find this guy, give him some money, and keep on my path back to my rural school.  Luck played a part as he was within a few feet of me, and got the $2 from my hand as the light changed.  He was happy, and I shouted "Dios lo bendiga", meaning "God Bless You" in Spanish.

Best $3 I've ever used to date.

I don't know if I should be thinking of charity, or someone being charitable to me, or being happy or not.  All I know is that maybe if I can keep doing this I can keep making life a little better.

All I can do is try.

Half-past midnight.

Gotta get some sleep.

Night.


No comments: