"Suspicion always haunts the guilty mind; the thief doth fear each bush an officer."
~ 3 King Henry VI, Act 5/Scene 6
I haven't been valiant, brave or a good man. I lay waste to the talent I am given and tonight, I am sad. I am hoping prayer works and the smallest of God's creatures recovers, as I am sneaking it milk, cheese and some sandwich meat in hopes it's just a little dehydrated and ill, nothing too serious.
I've been here before, and I don't like it.
I don't think, however, that my neighbors have taken the best care possible, of their new puppy. Heart-worm drugs for my dog cost a bundle, and vaccinations aren't cheap. They said they got it off craigslist but they don't remember much but that the dog cost $100 and the guy assured them it had been given all its' puppy shots and vaccinations.
To them it's an animal. Maybe that's all it should be to me. But I see it as wounded, needing love and care, and I can't give it to that poor little puppy. It's a sweet dog, always running up to bark at me and to give kisses to my dogs through the fence. Now that I see it as sick I can't let my dogs get near it so we're in a crowded house scenario.
I spoke to the neighbors directly, but they're more gang thug than pup walkers. I see the doggie under the tree, sleeping/resting, maybe just trying to stay alive. I can't do anything for it as it's not my dog. And I can't complain to the damned authorities because they're goddamned eunuchs like me: ball less servants to the almighty dollar and the finish of the day. I wish I could just buy the dog, save it and give it to a good home, but that's not the case. I'm afraid I'll awake and find it dead under it's tree or in the middle of the yard.
"The law? The law is a human institution."
Sheriff Cooley/O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000)
I keep hoping San Antonio will have a No-Kill Shelter, but they were trying for it by 2011 when I wrote my first account in September 2009. It's 2012 and the prospect has been basically abandoned; on Sunday along side of the road you can find people and selling dogs like mad, claiming they're AKC but I doubt the usual criteria for sales is visible tattoos, flip-flops and primer-coated cars as marketability for $200 + dogs.
(That sounds bad & I apologize deeply, but there's no regulation. I've tried calling the cops & animal services but they don't operate complaints on the weekends when the flea market is open & noone is selling roadside M-F 8am to 5pm. Cash businesses don't need bankers hours.)
Maybe we need legislature like Louisiana has regarding roadside sales.
Maybe I need to be braver than I am, or maybe I need to stick and KEEP my head in the sand.
Maybe ... but no answers.
Bed time.
Sleep will bring peace, and hopefully an answered prayer.
Good night dear friends, readers and the world in general.

2 comments:
I love animals. I am a HUGE dog lover. I know what you feel.
I've been there.
~prayers for the pup~
Thank you so very kindly. Your words and prayers are appreciated.
Post a Comment