Settled Pain = Happy Camper
Monday morning at 9:30 a.m., I went to see the dentist the clinic referred me to after my bout with pain last week. They told me I’d need to see an oral surgeon who’s remove my Wisdom teeth from my head and honestly, I was fuckin’ scared.
No bullshit.
I didn’t want to go, but a good friend of mine took me and I went in, calm and collected.
Unlike the previous dentist he was not condescending to my lack of dental care; in fact, he was complimentary at the state of condition I held presently. (I drink a lot of milk so that could be my saving grace.) He was a nice Indian man, kind eyes, and his staff was very patient with me. I think they could see I was nervous so they put me at ease and kept me calm, never telling me anything that could happen or if the procedure would be painful.
The night before I couldn’t sleep. I kept seeing Youtube videos of dental techniques and clips from the movie Marathon Man rushing into my skull.
Even jacking off to porn didn’t lower my blood-pressure.
But for some reason, when I got there, I was calm.
After taking another x-ray, the dentist came in, gave me several small shots and numbed the inside of my mouth. All the drugs we locals so I had control of my facilities. I was thinking about punching the dentist in the balls if I felt the slightest pain so I was lucid and ready for anything.
Now how did he do it?
Well, drugs for one thing.
He was chilled, smiling and never insulting or rude. Total professional; I’d go back if I had insurance, no doubt.
I started counting the leaves on the faux paintings he had on the wall.
Then I started counting the holes in the ceiling tiles, but my vision is shot so I need to get my eyes checked next and probably get some glasses.
(I haven’t had glasses since the 80’s and dental work since the 90’s so as you can see I can damned well let everything go except for my dreams. They’re the only thing keeping me alive to date: the perfect woman, the perfect life, the dream to end all dreams.)
When he entered my mouth with a big thick instrument (Sounds like the beginning of my erotica! ~lol!~) I paused, felt a mild discomfort, and accepted it, swallowing and letting him do all the work, never bouncing back or becoming over excited. His nurse held my head in place, the dentist spun my skull a few times, and he was done.
No crying, no whining and a mild irritation when he began cleaning my teeth. Since we had arranged for me to pay in installments I gave him the $250 I had in my wallet with the promise that I’d pay the rest on April 01 when the district pays me again for all the wonderful substitute teaching I do at their beck and call.
So, this is something similar to the collection he used on me.
And this is what he did.
(Pause)
And this was the end result.
For the last few days I’ve been on soft foods, like soup, yogurts, pudding and all my coffee and tea have to be lukewarm or tepid; nothing scalding and nothing icy. I’ve been told to eat gently, slowly, deliberately, so as not to aggravate the stitches in my skull or to expose the gum line to excessive force and cause bleeding.
I’ll be like this till I return to school, and all I need to do is finish my antibiotics, my pain killers and the oral solution I use to keep the wound clean. It’s super-strong mouthwash but I am doing my best to tolerate the horrid taste.
Sadly, I didn’t take my cell phone or ask for the teeth as a souvenir but I was glad the procedure was done, I would still have money to last me the next few weeks, and I was able to feel my recovery beginning. I am sleeping during the day a bit more than usual but I’ll be okay.
I’m a happy camper now.
Sans 2 teeth, but happy nonetheless.








3 comments:
That's a relief. I'm glad it's over and wasn't as bad as you feared.
Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog.
xoRobyn
I'm so glad you're feeling better Julian.
Me too. Now all I need to do is find a way to deal with this loose stitch in my mouth.
Post a Comment