I had my calendar skewed, and I thought grades weren't due till next week when they're due NOW!
And sadly, my password was changed, so I had to do everything by hand, in little boxes, on Word and e-mail it this morning.
I'll be dropping off the papers later on today as I have another assignment; they really don't pay me enough to grade and guide all these pest for so little a time but I should have been more attentive. If you're wondering, with a degree, substitute teachers get about $60 - $80 a day, without/with a degree, and about $100 a day with a degree and certification, so if you're working all the time, in every changing environment of schools, then you can make $18K maybe all year, and when holidays and summer come up, you need a spare job.
And, no health insurance, so if you're sick or injured, you're outta luck.
That's why last year (2010) I was keeping a job with 2 school districts, and working nights & weekends at Bed, Bath & Beyond. And if you're not retired, (or have another source of income) you really need to get into a classroom where you can pull down $38K for your job being on the line ALL the time. If the child fails now, it's not, "What can we do to fix it?" It's "Why do you hate my child?"
And, no health insurance, so if you're sick or injured, you're outta luck.
That's why last year (2010) I was keeping a job with 2 school districts, and working nights & weekends at Bed, Bath & Beyond. And if you're not retired, (or have another source of income) you really need to get into a classroom where you can pull down $38K for your job being on the line ALL the time. If the child fails now, it's not, "What can we do to fix it?" It's "Why do you hate my child?"
Homework has gone the way of the dodo.
Writing lines is considered corporal punishment.
Using physical force to stop a fight is considered litigious & schools advise teachers not to get in the middle of a fight.
But, all that aside, the grades were my responsibility, and it's still my fault, so I gotta fix it or be sacrificed on the pyre of failure. I can do the lessons, motivate, and monitor the safety, but the minutiae, the bureaucracy, all that bores the ungodly SHIT out of me.
And that's why I have to try doing the other blog immediately. I had to think long & hard about it all, and look at what's out there for art, and make my decision.
So tonight, I'll be doing and (hopefully) posting a sketch or two, something to show my effort. (And no, the one at the top is not mine; I just Google'd scolding teacher as a phrase & these came up.)
And if you really want a chuckle, see what's on my other blog about grammar. The creation is amazing & I likened it to art if you're bold enough to make your own poster and print it and hang it somewhere.
Here's the link there.
Thank you for listening.
afare24get


1 comment:
It is truly shameful how little teachers certified or not are paid. My father taught for 40 years and needed a couple Master's degrees to make a decent living from just teaching.
My sister teaches high school and she constantly is taking more classes to increase her salary. She also teaches here in the Portland Public School district which is plagued by so many cutbacks, it makes teaching such a stuggle. She stays because her students are less fortunate than most and she makes a difference in their lives and feels her dedication positively impacts the community. I know she struggles with that decision alot and ponders cutting and running to find a better living down a total different career path.
Hang in there my friend. I'm sending you much warmth, positivity and support.
Post a Comment