Sunday, December 5, 2010

-unhappy face-


I am beginning to think I am the wrong person to teach the tinies.

I read the lesson plans and I am not doing the same thing as the other teachers; this means I am wasting my time trying to teach them as I know (learned) or I don't need to simply because someone else shoulders the burden.




That's not teaching; that's brainwashing.

If they want someone pushing what the other teachers are doing, then I am the wrong guy.  They need a in-order-simplistic-person.  I'm not that guy, but maybe I need to be for the little carpet crawlers.

I'm used to high schoolers and argumentative convicts.  Maybe that's where I need to be intead of here at the middle school.

The money is good but I am getting scared I'll fuck this up bad!



At this point with the lesson plans from my fellow teachers I am beginning to feel more like this guy than the one below.
Seeing Sidney Potier in "To Sir, With Love", is an honest approach to teaching.  Movies like "Dangerous Minds", and "Freedom Writers" are bunk.  




Teaching has standards.

Teaching has hopes and dreams.

The rote methods are gone.  There are no separate English (grammar) and Reading (linguistics) classes.  You don't go to one or the other; both are jumbled together and you've gotta teach them from collections established at the beginning of the year.

Maybe I'm just frustrated.

Maybe I don't know how to teach these mighty-mites ... yet.

110am.  Gotta be up in 4 hours and working with the kids after letting my dog TCB (pooping outdoors) and then feeding them before they go back into their crates till I return that afternoon.

I appreciate the hours and the upcoming cash.

And if I'm moderately successful I'll be referenced madly in the district.  That could work if (or when) I finally leave the state to pursuit my dreams elsewhere.

Right now I just need to relax.

Maybe a tuna melt would help.

Night.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought one doesn't have to strictly follow a lesson plan, just use it as a guide. Anyway, you're going to do great. Yes, just relax. Hope you enjoyed that tuna melt. Now, I think I want one, too. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

~Sweets

AFare24Get said...

Following the lesson plan exactly depends on either the success rate of the teacher or their team, or what experience/s they have in teaching. I know the team is starting to trust me more and I've reached my latest goal, pushing (working) through a novel.

Right now I am just juggling cats and hoping for the best. Nothing's been said about the original teachers' condition so I may be there longer than I can imagine. But it's nice to be needed and I'm gaining ground on the trust, so there's hope.

Thanks for stopping by & I like reading lots of other blogs simply for what I learn from other writers.

KittyCat said...

I think your awesome. I wish you were around for my daughter when she was in hs .
Some of the shit that gets taught I just dont agree with.
What is the freakin purpose really.

Drenchxoxo said...

I think you are the most critical of "you."

I liked school. I had decent grades and was totally involved in tons of extra cirricular activites BUT the teachers that reached outside of traditional styles kept me interested in learning and I believe made more of an impact on the student in me.

I know you will find your place cause you want to make a difference. It matters to you. There should be more educators in the world that have those two traits and we'd all be better off.

Think of you often.

AFare24Get said...

Thanks everyone. I have already deviated from the lesson plans I've been given. As it is I see the kids don't have a lot of the basics, and they can't advance without them.

I had a good time with the class, teaching acrostic poems/writing. I am going to continue to emphasize the basics and the best of themselves ... that's what matters in the end.

Giving and getting the best possible for anyone who cares to learn or try something new.

Blessings ~ J