Sunday, February 15, 2009

Weekend Celebrations

Celebrating Friday the 13th


Today I was rethinking my day with my students on Friday, and I realized I had truly celebrated Friday the 13th. Why? Because everyone was dressed in some variant of black, red or maroon, showing leg, cleavage or skin to attract or connect even temporarily.

Ahh ... young love. I remember that once long ago.

So, as a counter to the day I sketched a quick cartoon of Jason Vorhees and tossed it up on the dry-erase board, celebrating Friday the 13th. I was given some slightly quizzical looks and a few shy-eyed glances, but nonetheless I was not chased out of the room with books being tossed at me, flaming torches & pitch-forks being wielded by the 'angry mob'. Actually, some of the kids went to the front of the room, snapped pictures, and smiled at me.


I guess that's what comes from teaching an Honor's GT class; higher-order thinking, a sense of humor, and noone fussing or griping about being (even) slightly offended. So, I guess I lucked out in having them as my class.


Now you know I am teaching teenagers this semester, and I am trying not to drool like a hungry monster at a buffet, or any guy visiting the Playboy mansion for the first time; I think I held quite good restraint, as some of my students gave me treats, smiles and hugs for the day. And luckily, nothing popped out that should have been covered so I had a good day.

I was also told the current principal, has no plans for allowing school dances or anything in that after-hours vein for the kids. Granted, this allows for them to find unsupervised mischief, but it does place the onus of chaperoning & wondering on the parent and not the school, so that's not too bad for the event of the day.


Anyway ... Happy Friday the 13th.

I ... I mean Valentine's Day.

Always,




~ j ~


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentine - Little history

http://www.history.com/minisites/valentine/ - Little more from someone more reputable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_the_13th - NOT the movie

http://urbanlegends.about.com/cs/historical/a/friday_the_13th.htm - A little more

http://www.snopes.com/luck/friday13.asp - And on top of that ... ;-)




No comments: